Thursday, June 18, 2009

Prayers Please

I'm not sure when I'll be posting again. Our family is going through a lot right now. We are dealing with so much and I'm not even sure where to begin. I wasn't going to even post about it, but you know, I'm going too. I need to. My 'followers' as well as my closet readers, have got to have some sort of knowledge that could help us get thru this.
My FIL is currently in the hospital with what is believed to be Bi-Polar. He is 80?? years old. The signs have been there for years but as I'm learning, some families just do not communicate or want to see the signs. It's been a very long road, over 50 years, and it finally has come to a head. But not with lots of hurt feelings, frustration and bitterness. Sleepless nights, early AM calls and all night 'baby sitting' by my husband and his brother. He finally is in the hospital, has been since Monday AM and DH JUST called and said he has taken his medicine. Before he was throwing it behind his bed, trying to dissolve it in his hand and just refusing to take it. He had to be committed. It's just amazing what I've learned about DH's family and even DH. I can honestly say that he is handling it better then I'd ever imagine. He's talking openly with me, we've stayed up till after midnight almost every night this week, talking. He has such a sense of relief to finally have this come to a head. I had no idea how much anger?? he had been repressing for years, or maybe even embarrassment? over his father and his behaviors.
Some of those behaviors are very very strange and I'm not completely sure they have to do with Bi-Polar. That's why I'd like to email someone that knows a lot about this. My husband's family has been talking to a Psychologist but yeah, just need a real life persons thoughts rather then this doctor. Who is very qualified no doubt.

That being said, should I happen to not post for awhile, it's b/c of exhaustion. He gets out Monday and we honestly do not know what could or is, going to happen. His threats were we've seen nothing yet. Not sure what to expect but also hoping that the medicine(s) will start working and these thoughts/threats will becoming nothing more then just that.

2 comments:

gem said...

Oh Rachel, that is so tough on you and your husband. I hope he stabilizes on meds and things can be contained. We have also had a very stressful time recently but reading your post makes physical illness, no matter how serious, seem somehow easier to cope with

Faith said...

Oh my! Praying for your family. I have no experience with bi-polar, so I can't help there. But know that I CAN send some prayers up to God and that is WAY mightier than getting questions answered;)